|Original photo source|
After months of thinking about travel and saving all our money, we're six weeks out from backpacking through Central America and I couldn't be more excited. I literally woke up this morning thinking about Little Corn Island in Nicaragua with a smile on my face.
There's a lot of change going on in my life right now with finding new tenants, packing, painting, and moving out of our apartment. Thanks to my different schedule I've still been able to delve into planning the logistics of our trip, staying up late into the night until my neck cramps from being hunched over my travel research. Sometimes I get carried away and really go into the details, like finding out which bus companies offer which routes (Tica and Hedman Alas pop up frequently) and how much things cost ($5 USD for lunch or dinner is the norm). I can't help but feel the excitement build as our departure date grows nearer.
For my husband and I, this will be our first time travelling long-term together. We’ve had a bunch of conversations to make sure we’re on the same page when it comes to travel style, budgeting, and the “feel” of the trip that we’re going for. I naturally like to be the planner so over the weekend I really got into our itinerary (which got the thumbs up from M).
- We want to travel to all seven countries in Central America (Honduras, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama)
- Length of travel: 3 - 3.5 months. We’ll purchase our return tickets on the road and see how we feel
- Even though we're backpacking and keeping to a budget, we’re still travelling as a couple and prefer private rooms when available
- We’d rather splurge on our activities than luxurious accommodations
- We’d prefer to support local guesthouses and companies
- We like museums, ruins, and volcanoes but we’re not obsessed about seeing, touring, or climbing them all
- We'll travel by bus and boat throughout the area
- Accommodations average $25 USD per night for private room and hot water bathroom
- Daily spending average $30 USD per person per day